Green Tea Benefits & Potential Issues
1. IMPROVES HEALTH: Green tea contains large amounts of important nutrients, many of the bioactive compounds. It is loaded flavonoids, which makes it a powerful antioxidant, it has got very powerful medicinal properties. These substances can protect cells and molecules from damage.
2. IMPROVES BRAIN FUNCTION: The caffeine in green tea is a stimulant. It increases the firing of neurons and the concentration of neurotransmitters. Scientifically have proven it had improved mood, vigilance, reaction time and memory. It also has the amino acid L-theanine, which is able to cross the blood-brain barrier, it has anti-anxiety effects.
3. INCREASES FAT BURNING , IMPROVES PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE: Green tea boosts metabolic rate. Drinking green tea in a daily basis you'll become more energetic and productive. The caffeine in green tea improves physical performance by mobilizing fatty acids from fat tissues and making them available for use as energy.
4. LOWERS RISK OF VARIOUS TYPES OF CANCER: Green tea is an excellent source of powerful antioxidants, so it makes perfect sense that it could reduce your risk of various types of cancer: breast cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer.
5. PROTECTS YOUR BRAIN IN OLD AGE: Multiple studies show that the catechin compounds in green tea can have various protective effects on neurons in test tubes and animal models, potentally lowering the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
6. CAN KILL BACTERIA, IMPROVES DENTAL HEALTH AND LOWERS THE RISK OF INFECTION
7. MAY LOWER THE RISK OF TYPE II DIABETES: Drinking green tea can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar level.
8. MAY REDUCE THE RISK OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE: Green tea dramatically increases the antioxidant capability of the blood, which protects the LDL cholesterol particles from oxidation, which is one part of the pathway towards heart disease.
9. HELPS WITH WEIGHT LOSS AND PREVENTS OBESITY: It boost metabolic rate in the short term, it can help to reduce body fat in the abdominal area.
10. HELP TO LIVE LONGER: Green tea drinkers are at a lower risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer, so consuming green tea in moderation could help you live longer.
3 to 4 cups of Green Tea is recommended daily. If you have any of the below mentioned medical conditions or taking prescription drugs, exercise caution and consulting your doctor about how many cups you should have per day.
With almost all foods, moderation is the key to enjoying the full benefits.
Side Effects of Green Tea: Like all teas, green tea contains caffeine. Consuming too much caffeine can lead to or aggravate a variety of problems, including the following:
1. Stomach Problems: Green tea is should not consumed on an empty stomach. It is best to drink green tea after a meal or in-between meals. People with peptic ulcers or acid reflux should not consume green tea excessively.
3. Muscle Tremors and Contractions
5. Iron Deficiency and Anemia: Green tea seems to reduce the absorption of iron from food. Drinking very high doses can actually be fatal. The fatal dose of caffeine in green tea is estimated to be 10-14 grams. Squeeze lemon into your tea or consume other vitamin-C rich foods such as broccoli, with your meal. If you have an iron-deficiency like anaemia, it's recommended consuming tea between meals.
6. Mild to Severe Headaches
7. Sleep Problems, Nervousness and Anxiety
8. Irregular or Accelerated Heartbeat
10. Ringing in the Ears
11. Convulsions: Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system.
12. Bleeding Disorders: Caffeine in green tea might increase the risk of bleeding.
13. Diabetes: If you drink green tea and have diabetes, monitor your blood sugar carefully.
14. Glaucoma: Drinking green tea increases pressure inside the eye. The increase occurs within 30 minutes and lasts for at least 90 minutes.
15. High Blood Pressure: The caffeine in green tea might increase blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
16. Liver Disease: Green tea extracts might worsen liver disease as the caffeine in the blood may build up and last longer.
17. Osteoporosis: Green tea can increase the amount of calcium that is flushed out in urine, which can lead to osteoporosis, especially in those who might be predisposed to the same due to other factors.
18. Pregnancy and Infant Health Risks: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, green tea in small amounts, about 2 cups per day, is safe.